Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2014

How the Duval County School Board taught me to lie

Okay I am just going to vent. Earlier this year I got married, thanks, thanks but before I got married I had to get a new social security card, my old one lost to my filing system which is reminiscent of the Hindenburg.

So I took two half days, one to get the card and the other to prepare for my wedding. I didn’t need subs because I have third period planning followed by lunch and my last period could be covered by a teacher with a planning period, for which they would be paid the bargain rate of 12 bucks. Still a pretty good savings as I didn’t need half day subs.

I filled out my leave forms indicating I would be taking personal time. Fast forward nearly 3 months, yep 3 months, and I have been docked a days’ pay. Now I still have lots of hours I can miss, but unfortunately for me and my bank account they are sick hours not personal hours.

I wasn’t given a heads up, a, hey Chris budget a little better this week because you are going to be a few hundred short. No I noticed quite by chance as I was about to write a big check, which I will now have to write next pay day.

All right if that’s how we are going to do it, something that must be new because to be honest I have never paid attention to sick and personal hours, just hours, then fine, I will just have to make sure this doesn’t happen again even if that means I have to lie. so if you see me out during the day one day next year be careful before coming on up, I may or may not be sick.

I mention this because teacher morale has been talked about a lot recently. Well quite often it is the big things, discipline, over testing, bullies masquerading at administrators but sometimes it is the little things too.

I now feel a cough coming on.

2 comments:

  1. Someone was standing in the hall right outside the front office in plain sight saying hello to another teacher the first day back after Christmas/New Years' and was docked for not signing in before they took the sign-in sheet away -- the principal said it was per the superintendent's instructions! Morale issues!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have over 300 hundred hours of time saved and got docked a whole day's pay for taking one too many personal days that year instead of labeling it as a sick day. I guess that's what I get for coming to work faithfully in this district!

    ReplyDelete